11/13/11

{the transformation}

I have this thing about sofas they have to be comfy, casual and cotton.   The problem with them is that they don't last long when they are in grand central station with 2 dogs, 2 kids, 2 adults and just 1 cat.   This is the couch we have now and I wish I had a picture of it rather then this one from the gallery.  Just imagine different pillows. It works perfect with our leather armchair and the  bench recovered with a zebra quilt.    The  problem started when the ever lovely Lulu our spoiled greyhound tore the fabric digging for a comfy spot.  (on a side note she did not get in trouble, she had a rough life before taking over our home)  


I have this wonderful seamstress my Mom, who I have roped in to recovering the sofa.   She detests working on furniture, but she agreed.   To make it a bit easier we are going to reuse.   She reminded me of the denim slipcover I ordered from Pottery Barn, it was used two sofas ago.  Its a bit big for the couch so she is going to tailor to make a better fit and to add a more custom look.   We are then going to recover the seat and back pillows with another fabric.  So it has been a challenge to find exactly what I was looking for.   I fell in love with this chair in a recent Country Living and wanted to find something similar.
These are some choices I have found from http://www.fabric.com/ , they have a great selection.


I can hardly wait to see the finished product~

5 comments:

  1. How terrific that you Mom is tailoring the slipcover for you. I saw that chair in Country Living & loved it. Apparently you and I are not afraid of color. It will be a tough decision on the three fabrics you have chosen!

    I have just become a friend and follower and hope you will do the same. Also, I host a weekly party - Potpourri Friday. Link up is on Thursday afternoon. I would be delighted for you to link to it. It's a great way to meet and make new friends. Welcome to the Land of Blog! If I can be of help in any way, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric choices you have are cool. Obviously bright colors will help with the onslaught of kids and dogs and later...teenagers like mine! Good luck!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics you've chosen! You're lucky to have someone close who knows how to sew...I'd really love to learn! I plan to teach myself soon. lol We shall see how that goes! I have the IKEA Ektorp couch with the three cushions, and am trying to find other places that knock-off their slipcovers for a good price. I love their Svanby Beige for the Ektorp, but they are not washable...and considering there are 3 males in the house, I sure need something washable! :)

    Anyway, thanks for dropping by my page! You have a lovely blog! :)

    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that chair from Country Living...I so can't wait to see what you do with your sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too...I can't wait to see it. Slipcovers work well for us. My youngest just left for college...but before that we had big teen aged boys all over them...so great to just be able to wash them...not fun, but I love them when they are all clean.

    ReplyDelete